Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Confessions Of A Gamer Geek

I admit it, I'm guilty. I'm a gamer, a total geek and damn proud of it. I'm into video games, mainly PC based at the moment and I'm just getting into World of Warcraft since my girlfriend got it for me for my birthday. I've always disliked MMORPGs due to the fact that you have to pay to play a game you already bought, but then I didn't buy this so I guess it's ok ;) Anyway, I've loved the Warcraft series of games ever since I played the first one back in college.

My true passion in gaming though is pulp (aka table top, pen & paper, etc) gaming - particularly Shadowrun. Having played SR for something like 15 years starting at 1st edition and now on 4th, that pretty much says where my preference lies. That said, I also like D&D 3.5 (specifically the Eberron setting), Star Wars (d20 and the new Saga edition), and have some appreciation for White Wolf's games (even though I find them kind of pretentious).

D&D (the old, old red box) and Dragonlance were actually my first gaming experiences, and while I have a hate-hate relationship with the game's magic system I keep coming back to it every once and a while. That might change with the advent of 4th edition though. Frankly, neither I nor anyone I know is happy about it. Especially after spending a good chunk of change on the 3rd and then 3.5 edition books. All I can say at the moment is that WotC had best do a damn good job on 4th edition, like miraculous, if they still want my group's patronage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are free MMO's like Guild wars, I prefer City of heroes myself and will pay to play :)

Anonymous said...

Oh and I prefer Forgotten Realms in DND, every one hates the look of 4th ed, and I am a Psion player so once again I get screwed!

Nightmare said...

Guild Wars is free? Sweet :D I liked the Realms but they got kinda old and overdone yknow? I did like what they did in 3rd with them though. As for psionics, I hear ya bro :(

Anonymous said...

The point with the Realms was it was developed, and you ahd lots of history ... which is what I liked (though Greenwood sucks and blows!)

Nightmare said...

Heh, I can agree with that :D