Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Much Needed Vacation

So, for the first time in a couple of years I'm on vacation. This time, like many before, that means heading West. To clarify, I live in Wisconsin of all places, so west means (generally speaking) South Dakota, Wyoming, and the like. In fact, I'm setting in a motel in Mitchel SD as I type this. It's rather nice, not a pricey or fancy place, but I like it. The Thunderbird Lodge in case you're wondering (if you know the area). Intending to try for Yellowstone, if things work out right.

Anyway, I've been largely silent for the past few months, with only a few half-snide allusions to spending too much time on World of Warcraft as explanation. While that is partly the truth, and I meant no offense to anyone with said allusions, the other half of the truth is that I'm burned out. I'm sick of discussing, debating, and arguing about religion and related matters. In some senses it's all become way too personal, and in many many others it has simply become far to frustrating. After all, it's not like there is any real, objective answers or evidence involved in religion and spirituality to begin with, and as a result it's rather difficult to debate a point to begin with but ultimately determining and discussing the truth of any religious or spiritual matter is essentially as fruitful and meaningful as discussing the flavors of ice cream available on Mars.

This doesn't mean that one cannot disprove things of a religious/spiritual nature - if an idea is internally inconsistent or simply logically untenable it's a pretty fair bet that concept is false. However, while proving this in debate/discussion is rather easy, convincing people to accept that such common sense is actually true can be a matter of Herculean proportions. Discussion only works as a means of learning if both parties are willing to learn and grow.

Anyway, enough babble. West has always been sort of a spiritual thing for me, and in addition to mundane fun I'm sort of looking forward to actually experiencing again rather than merely talking. But someone else wants to use the computer here, so off I go.

9 comments:

Rad Winters, Alanologist said...

Have fun on your vacation! :)

Nightmare said...

Certainly am dear :D

Quietheart said...

Hope you're having a great vacation!! Sorry I've been so out of touch.
Esther

Nightmare said...

No prob dear - I been the same >:D<

BG45 said...

Enjoy!

Nightmare said...

Actually I'm back now bro, just chillin and relaxing (and trying to get over this miserable cold).

Quietheart said...

I hope you feel better soon Nightmare.
Es

anita said...

Hey! Wots going on?

Anonymous said...

Hey, how are you?

I bounced through to here via some link, and your nick and symbol are familiar.

Hope things are well for you.

*bounces out*

**K**